Wednesday, December 10, 2014

L'il Drac and the batties

I am participating in Goth Gardeners contest! I am going to talk to you about bats and how they help the environment. I am also going to talk about a cause that is very close to my heart; Bat World Sanctuary. If you are wondering what to get a Gothling for Christmas, why not adopt a bat via sponsorship in the little Darkling's name? Hint! hint!

While the majority of people fear bats, what they don't always realize, they play an important part in the environment. Bats help pollinate plants and spread seeds. They also help control insects. Bats eat large numbers of insects, including the kinds that damage crops. A brown bat can eat more than one thousand insects the size of a mosquito in one hour. This certainly helps us reduce in pesticides and helps reduce the amount of chemicals polluting the environment.

According to Batworld Sanctuary's website, Batworld.org,"fruit and nectar bats bring us approximately 450 commercial products and over 80 different medicines through seed dispersal and pollination. Up to 98% of all rain forest regrowth comes from seeds that have been spread by fruit bats. Insect-eating bats are literal vacuum cleaners of the night skies, eating millions upon millions of harmful bugs. They protect us by eating insect-pests that destroy crops as well as insects that cause human disease."

 Batworld Sanctuary is a a non-profit organization ran by volunteers and they rescue all kinds of bats, for example, bats that were orphaned, injured, confiscated from illegal pet trade, retired from zoos and research facilities. They all can find shelter (sometimes permanent) within Batworld Sanctuary's walls.

Be forewarned. You will need Kleenex when you watch this video. I have seen this several times and I still tear up, each and every time!This is an example of some of the wonderful work they do over there:



8 comments:

  1. LOVE those little ears wiggly in the first shot. I've seen this video before and I STILL cried :'( "He still rocks"

    Thank you for a thoughtful post and for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I always cry at that part too. I love the little fella, he is just too cute :)

      Delete
  2. I think L'il Drac just stole a large piece of my heart, that was just adorable.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...