Monday, December 8, 2014

An early Christmas gift

I got hit with a really bad stomach bug yesterday and spent my day sleeping it off. I try to post every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (or Saturday) and sometimes, I write my posts in advance whenever something happens that inspires me. This is one of those posts. It made me feel better and I am sure a lot of us can use some Christmas cheer on this rather cold, Monday afternoon.

It is ritual. Every time I drop my son off at daycare, he questions the charity collection box they put up for Christmas. It was beautifully wrapped by one of the parents and it is right next to his "cubby" where he puts his coat, boots, gloves, and hat so we cannot miss it.

Every morning, I have to answer the same questions and tell him that the box was there for us to give toy donations so children can have something for Christmas. I explained that Mommies and Daddies have to give Santa money for presents so he can pay his elves to make the toys for him. Not all Mommies and Daddies have money for toys so we give used and new toys to the elves. They clean up the used toys and gift wrap them so the children can have something on Christmas morning. Not all children get gifts because not all parents are able to give Santa money for presents.

He picked out some toys he wanted to donate. I laughed when he told me that it was ok to give them away because he will get new ones for Christmas!

What he said next, made me beam with pride and I had tears in my eyes. He said "no one should not have toys on Christmas" When I reminded him that he may not get that toy back on Christmas morning, he got angry and said "I don't want it back. No children, no boys, no girls are not going to get toys. I want a little boy to have these toys"

 There you have it. This was indeed a proud mom moment and the best gift anyone can ever give me.




12 comments:

  1. Wow! Sweet kid! You are definitely bringing him up right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, maybe it does mean a little bit more... :-)

    I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we did more things like that over here, it's great that you are teaching your kids to give and think about others.

    I hope you have recovered from the bug now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am pretty much recovered from the bug except I had a REALLY bad migraine last night that kept me up all night. I took another day off of work but it was worth it. We do a lot of charities here and it can be hard, especially when cash is tight around this time of the year. There is a toy and food drive at my work, there is one at my husband's office and there is one at the daycare. It can be hard but we try to donate a little to all 3.

      Delete
  4. What a clever and sweet boy you seem to have :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...