Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Positive attention

We often get negative attention while out in public so I thought it would be refreshing to post about the positive attention I received when I was out with my family a couple of weeks ago. On this particular Saturday, we took my son to get his haircut at a kiddie hair salon. I wish they had those when I was a kid! My son got to sit in a racing car chair and got to watch the movie Frozen while getting his hair cut! The hairdresser was so good with him too because he is so shy. He was comfortable, did very minimal twitching and it really didn't take too long. They had an indoor slide and toys for the kiddies to play with while waiting, which impressed me. My son even got a lollipop afterwards. The treats were displayed on the counter and it was up to the parent to decide whether or not the child should have one.  As a parent, you don't feel pressured or feel like a monster for turning away offered candy.

 As I took off my coat, most parents there gave me weird looks. I am used to it and it only encourages me to smile at them. It is amusing, they either feel uncomfortable and smile back or they keep giving me dirty looks which just makes me smile more!

Out of nowhere this middle-aged woman comes running up to me and saying how she loved my outfit, the way I dress and how I should never change because I look wonderful!

This reaction completely threw me off guard. I did feel a little uncomfortable but it was still nice to get positive attention. What I wore? Nothing über goth really since I was only out to get my kid's haircut. I wore my Siouxsie shirt, a purple tutu skirt with plain black leggings and my Doc Martens. I had simple makeup, after all, I have out grown the urge to always go out showing off how "dark and spooky" I am! Besides, I am no makeup guru, it is better to wear simple than risk looking like I fell into a makeup box!


15 comments:

  1. that's nice. I love it when older folks say nice things. it took me a while to get comfortable with compliments because I used to get picked on a lot and didn't trust the "compliments."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it also took me a while to get used to it too LOL

      Delete
  2. Nice! ^^ Strangely enough, older people - especially older ladies seem to appreciate strange and quirky looks: Sometimes I compliments from random old ladies while I'm running around in the city wearing gothy outfits or cosplays and it's always so surprising...I'm not guite used to it. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched my mom become more eccentric in her mid-70s. She much more likely to approve of my outfits today than when I was a teen (and I think I still dress pretty much the same). I wonder if we all just get more open as we age. Well, that's at least a hopeful thought.

      Delete
    2. In my area, it is the opposite. I have a lot of old ladies who stare at me. One even did the sign of the crucifix. My mom is a little more open minded now than I was a teenager but not by much

      Delete
    3. Eeek! I hope you wink at them when they do that. Ridiculous!

      Delete
    4. I do or I keep looking at them smiling. If someone stares at me for too long, I wave LOL

      Delete
  3. That's awesome. Older people and in the US in the South, I find that Black folks are much more likely to give compliments than White folks. This summer I was in Michael's Craft store and a little African-American girl (approximately 7 hrs old) saw me and told her mom that she liked my boots (Docs). I have bat shoe strings and I was wearing knee socks with bats. The little girl's mom turned to look at me, smiled, and responded to her daughter, "I like her socks too".

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always nice to get a smile instead of stare or scowl. Most people are genuine with compliments so take them at face value. It sounds like a cute outfit you had on that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did take it as a compliment, I much rather be positive than to give in to potential trolling just in case :)

      Delete
  5. That was amazing, both the positive feedback you got from a stranger and the kiddie hair salon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty awesome. I really wish they had those hair salons when I was a kid :)

      Delete
  6. The salon sounds great! But how did you get him to leave?

    I find that when I wear my most out there clothes like faery dresses or layered tulle skirts is when I seem to get the most compliments, whether they are colourful or black. Perhaps people just secretly enjoy a little whimsy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people do. I was once told "oh its so nice talking to a goth" like we are some strange creature. I think some people are afraid of things that are not considered mainstream but most are just curious or like you said, secretly enjoy a little whimsy. I was also in an area where most people dress "normal" and tend to follow the current fashions so I stood out LOL I am not sure how I got him to leave. i think I let him play for a good 15 minutes. When i saw the novelty wear off, I told him we had to leave and he is pretty good

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...