Friday, November 21, 2014

Great story books for the little fleglings

While I am a firm believer of letting your offspring choose for themselves whether or not they want to follow in your spooky footsteps, I can't help but sneak in a few personal preferences here and there. Reading has always been a favorite pass time of mine, I really do like to think we are a reading family and I really want to past down my love of books to my little baby bat. I have compiled a list of spooky themed books I currently read with my little one. If anyone has anything they want to add to it, please comment!

Keep in mind, my child is four. He likes books with pictures in them but in a couple more years, I will be reading to him Harry Potter, All the books from author CS Lewis (wrote the Lion, Witch and The Wardrobe, etc) and so forth. We keep it simple now.

In honor of my little one, since all books must have pictures, I compiled a list of our favorite spooky themed book covers we currently own. I also included pictures of the books we will be asking Santa to bring us this year. I am quite proud, my child asked for books along with some toys he wants this year! It looks like our love of books and reading did rub off on him!


What we have already (all photos were taken from amazon.com):

This one was my favorite growing up!





And now, the ones I will be asking Santa to bring:

Source: amazon.com

Already pre-ordered. I should be receiving a signed copy. This will be a gift from my son to me, although I do plan on reading it to him. Source:voltaire.net

Turns out, Neil Gaiman released several children's books! I love Neil Gaiman's stories! If you are not familiar with his work, I highly recommend The Sandman comics, his novels Good Omens, Stardust (also a great movie). If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!


He will be starting Kindergarden next year and he will be going to a new "school" with new kids. I thought this would be a good book for him.  
Source:amazon.ca

According to the Amazon.ca reviews, this is a beautiful poem that provokes imagination and opens you up to the faerie world. We already talk about faerie lore and I thought this would be fun! My son believes in faeries!
Source:Amzon.ca


16 comments:

  1. Ooh I loved The Wild Things as a kid! Also Little Dracula, and illustrated books of spooky jokes, The Monster Handbook that was actually shaped like a hand, The Witches Handbook, that included a section on baking bone shaped gingerbread... guess I liked a lot of Gothy things as a kid.

    I also read this creepy kids book a few years ago called A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound... so ooooo creepy. Especially the ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I am going to keep those ones in mind, thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  2. I have never read any of those books. I guess they're not very popular in Brazil, haha.

    Well, I know you have to respect your son's choices, but reading those stories for him is not really forcing him to be like you - you are just sharing with him the things you love, and I think that is simply beautiful! I mean, how sad is it when you can't share your stories and opinions with the people you care about? :l Good that you have such an accepting kid. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL very true. We also let him choose books for himself too. He really loves being read too and I dont think he really cares as long as it is a story

      Delete
  3. Love the books you have listed. I'll add David Mack's The Shy Creatures as a possibility http://www.amazon.com/The-Shy-Creatures-David-Mack/dp/0312367945

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That is a really great suggestion. My son is REALLY shy so this may also help him. He also loves monsters too. Thank you very much! I think I may just add this one to my list :)

      Delete
  4. My favorite gaiman children's book is the day I swapped my dad for two goldfish. When I was a kid I liked classic fairy tales the most. Animal stories too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats awesome you got to read Gaiman is a kid. I never noticed he made children's books until very recently

      Delete
    2. haha I don't think Gaiman's stuff was around when I was a kid. No, I read that book like 2 years ago

      Delete
  5. Aaargghhh, still trying to follow you, still not working :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE 'Where the Wild Things Are', and so did my son. I even read it to my husband a few years ago, as he had never heard it! I did it with all the proper faces and sound effects, too. Some things you just don't forget... :-)

    And I recommend the Billy Goats story as well, especially if your child has nightmares. I taught my son to "turn into a billy goat and kick the monsters away and butt them with your horns!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL i do faces and sound effects too. I get really into it. I like what you told your son, that is pretty cute

      Delete
  7. I can really recomend Gaimens children books. I just wished I could read more of them to my kids. We are teaching them English, but they still want me to read in Norwegian most of the time. Looking forward to them getting a bit older and we start Narnia and Harry Potter. Most nights they'll go to sleep with a book in their arm rather then a teddy, so I must be doing something right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that is so cute they sleep with books in their arms!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...