Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Fashion inspiration: Nancy from The Craft


I was a little baby bat in the nineties and probably like most girls my age at that time, I was inspired by the character Nancy from the movie The Craft. I am pretty sure a lot of teenaged girls wanted to look like her back then, I know I sure did!

In my teens, I fell in love with this movie. I would watch it almost every day. Not only did the movie helped shape my wardrobe but my music tastes as well. This was one of my first introduction to goth music. Siouxsie plays in the movie soundtrack!

If you have not seen the movie, I recommend you do. The movie is about a girl called Sarah who just re-located into a new city with her father. It was not easy being the new girl in high school but she becomes friends with these three misfit girls (Nancy, Bonnie, Rochelle) who introduce her to witchcraft. Throughout the movie, they get more and more involved with practicing magic until things get out of hand. 

 Prior to watching this movie, I had some weird grunge style thingy going on. I remember seeing Nancy and wanting to look like her. I thought she was so pretty! In fact, not long after I watched the movie for the first time, I dyed my hair black and purchased my first tube of black lipstick!


There is something in her style, even today, as an adult, I still go to for inspiration. Be it the leather coat or the layering, there are so many elements I still add to my current wardrobe. Back when I was still in high school, we wore a similar uniform to the one they wear in the movie and watching this character combine goth elements to her uniform, helped me do the same. It was thanks to this movie, thanks to Nancy, that I made my debut within the subculture! Thank you Fairuza Balk for playing such a cool character!

And here is my little outfit I wore to work on Monday! While I did not scowl at work, I have to admit, I got a little too into the Nancy character and had fun making those faces at the camera. I liked this picture the best, the others were kinda wonky.

Look at me, Goff as fuck LOL!



P.S. Off topic, I signed up for Twitter. You can now follow me at #corpgothgirl!






14 comments:

  1. I love Nancy, I am sad what happens to her! I saw the movie when I was already into Goth stuff but I definitely loved her outfits! My favourite is the long black dress and ratted out hair near the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For world goth day last year I got the opportunity to see a double feature of The Craft and The Hunger on the big screen in Toronto. Liisa Ladouceur organized the event. There was goth trivia and other fun stuff to do. My friend even won a prize for the biggest death hawk. Lol. And as for Nancy, I always loved her outfit the night she fools Chris into thinking she's Sarah. I have those witchy boots that she wears when she's dragging her feet on the floor. Your Nancy outfit looks cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank event is so great!

      Yep, that was my fave outfit too!

      Delete
    2. I wish I could live in Toronto. Montreal is great, we do have our goth nights and all but I would of loved to see The Hunger on the big Screen! I wish I had those witchy boots.

      Delete
  3. I loved this movie. It always makes me happy when I re-watch it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the soundtrack and adore it, and yes, Nancy's style is rad! I especially like that they purposely give her better clothing after she gets money, it shows an interesting transition from her street goth look to high end goth. Her outfit in her final scene with Sarah has always been a favorite of mine, I really want that bodice. I like all the fashion from this film, in particular Neve Campbell's outfits, she can rock a leather jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the bodice. I really did like her high end goth stuff too. It was a nice touch that they added that in :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen this movie, though I really want to. And oh, you look so nice! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks, you should really see the movie. I think you would like it

      Delete
  6. That's an awesome inspired look. I rewatched this recently and it's still awesome.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...