Monday, November 17, 2014

Commute to work

Trystan from her blog, This is Corpgoth has her mid-month status report and like always, she invited us to follow suite. The theme is all about our commute to work. I posted something similar here (ironically enough I participated in the mid month status report in that post) about how I take my car back and forth. I used to take public transit. When I lived with my parents, I would take the train downtown to get to school/work. When I moved on my own, I lived downtown and the subway was my best friend. Now, I work in a more secluded area, in the more industrial section of the island of Montreal, public transit can be a pain. While this is a 20 minute drive for me, taking the bus just doesn't make sense. I once tried public transit and it took me over an hour to get to work! Yes, I do realize it is a lifestyle change. I know I could use that time to read and listen to music but with the daycare pickup/drop off, it would come to more than an hour. Plus by the time we get home, have supper started, it gets a little difficult with a little one. I have really battled this internally because I am all for reducing my carbon footprint. For a while, we even carpooled with my husband but with traffic, I was getting home pretty late. This is a hard balance when you have a hungry kid to feed!

For me personally, being a mother, my car is my best friend. The daycare calls, my son is sick, I am there in 10 minutes. Just like what I posted over the summer, my car has a remote starter. All I have to do is push that little button from my office window and my car starts! I can walk into a nice warm or cool car depending on how bad the weather is!It is a nice bonus.

Montreal was hit with it's first snow this weekend and it has been snowing here all day. The first snow fall of the year is brutal for commuters. I don't know why but there is always tons of traffic or people just tend to get weirded out. They either drive like a turtle or reckless, there never seems to be a happy medium! Public transportation in this weather can also be a nightmare with buses/trains/even the subway. I really do like our public transit, apparently, it is one of the best in the world but on days like today, I prefer to be sitting in traffic with my radio, by myself. My car even has an MP3 player input! I am not stopping at every corner either like the buses do because there are so many stops they have to make. I can pick up my son, cook supper and be home at a reasonable time. This allows us more time together!

Perhaps one day, when my son is older and a little more independent, I would opt to take public transit again but I am pretty spoiled with the way things are.

View from my office window.

8 comments:

  1. Holy moly snow! I was wearing open-toe shoes today. My toes were a bit cold but still!

    Anyhow, I think the fact that you're a mom changes everything for commuting. It's hard enough for me to get home if I get sick on my commute. I can't imagine what would happen if I had a mini-Me. Well, actually I do. I wouldn't be able to keep my commuting lifestyle.

    The time in your car with your boy is major bonding time. Plus you have to feed your kid. I make dinner for me (and now since I'm home this semester the new hubby who I've discovered will even eat food he doesn't like aka peas just so he doesn't have to make it himself).

    I love to imagine a world where teleportation exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would love a teleporter! Beam me up, Scotty! Your hubby sounds like mine, he would eat anything as long as he didnt make it. Too cute!

      Delete
  2. I think all the status report participants have reflected on the impact of life choices on the commuting. :D It is so nice that you bring out the good in owning a car and why it is necessary to choose it instead of buses and trains. With a little kid it is no fun to be in a metro full of grumpy people during the rush hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and not everyone would give up their seat for him either on the metro or bus. I give my seat but when I am unable to because I am standing myself, I seen so many pregnant women, elderly, little kids standing, it really pisses me off! I see the moms juggling their bags, trying to hold on and making sure their little ones dont fall whenver the bus or metro would stop. I do like taking public transit. I live right up the street from a metro station myself and do take it on the weekends. The little one gets all excited because we are getting on the metro LOL

      Delete
  3. Wow, what the...snow?! I wish it would be snowing over here too! ^^ Well, I don't with for crazy drivers and traffic jams, I'm just sick of our gloomy, grey weather...:)

    I guess, being a mom changes everything; I'm okay with spending an hour or two on the road every day, but you obviously can't afford it. But do you think you could still get used to taking public transport every day when your sin gets older? I think, if I would start driving to work, I could never give up that comfort anymore...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Having a car sure is convenient. I can go out on my lunch hour and get the things I need, that is one less trip to make on the weekend or after work. I might just take the bus a few days a week

      Delete
  4. I bet snow and commuting is a pain, in most parts of Australia it doesn't snow but people seem to drive fast and crazy when it rains so I can only imagine!

    I might not ever learn to drive so I hope I will always live somewhere with decent transport. I often fall asleep on the way home from work or uni so driving is probably not optimal for me anyhow, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that reminds me about the time I once fell asleep on the train. I was out drinking that night and remember waking up right when the train left the station after my stop. I got off, I was in the middle of nowhere and called my dad. He had no clue where I was but knew how to get there...by boat. He ended up calling the police for directions and came to pick up my sorry ass at 1am

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...