Saturday, October 25, 2014

Taking on the world, one heel at a time. A guide on how to walk in heels

Today Darklings, I am going to talk about shoes. I love shoes and boots and I am loving high heels even more recently because I often go through a rut where I would only wear my Doc Marten's. Don't get me wrong, I love my Docs. They last forever, they look really cool and they are super comfy, but I also am a girly girl and there is something about high heels that just makes me feel more confident. I am also very short too so wearing heels for me is a lot of fun!


Source: Squidoo.com


The age old question I get the most when I wear heels and do a lot of walking is, how do I wear those? Don't they hurt my feet? How can I walk in them?

#1) Start off small. Those big Frankenstein-like platforms or 6 inch stilettos you have been eyeing? Perhaps start off with a smaller platform and heel then work your way up.

#2) I usually try a good gel insert. I use Doctor Scholls. If not, I stretch my toes and feet by moving them in a circle motion before putting them on. I am not really good with doing this in the morning but I try. When I do, I find it helps. Perhaps I have gotten lazy with the stretching because my husband often gives me foot rubs!

#3) Don't walk like a duck! Let me elaborate on this. I have seen way too many women walk with their toes sticking out, kinda like in a "V" pattern. This is not very flattering. Please don't do that. It is very unattractive.

Do try to walk like a ballerina, on your toes first then add pressure on your heel. Pretend you are a circus performer on the high wire! This will eliminate the "V" pattern duck walk!

#4)  Another thing I like to do, especially back when I was single and today, while I am with my husband, I sway my hips when I walk in heels! Try it! Put your left foot out and sway your left hip as you walk. When your right foot goes out, put your right hip slightly out. Imagine a cat walking in slow motion. They have a stalk to their walk. I think this is captivating. As you slink, your hips will sway naturally! You don't know how much attention I used to get (both wanted and unwanted) when I would do this! Perhaps this is why my husband is so willing to give me those foot rubs, eh? Ha! Ha!

Source: Sinistersoles.com

Today, I can walk up steep hills in heels and I sometimes forget that I am even wearing them. Do you wear high heels? What is your take on them?

16 comments:

  1. I used to wear heels all the time and I was quite good at it, then something happened...I realized, that while wearing heels, I'm taller, than most people including guys and it was so uncomfortable...no, it was frustrating. Plus I have to walk - and get on and off buses - way too much while carrying bags during the day, so heels are strictly for date nights...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jeez. I don't have that problem there! I can see why you would leave them for date nights

      Delete
  2. I also have the awkwardness of being super tall in heels, I'm getting use to it but it's difficult to find heels that are comfy. I especially dislike super high peep toe pumps because the blood rushes to your toes from the pressure and the angle. I wore a pair to a wedding and my toes looked like tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no way. no one wears heels in nyc unless they're going by cab or car service. you'd die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I could only imagine. I am now tempted to wear heels when I go back for a visit, just because im crazy :p

      Delete
    2. Similar situation in Washington, DC. In addition to all the walking, there is the likelihood of getting a stiletto heel stuck in one of the many Metro grates one has to walk over.

      Delete
  4. I also have the tall problem. Plus my other half is about half an inch shorter than me at the best of times, so wearing shoes that make me taller make him feel a little emasculated. .. bless him! So, I live in flats these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I would say this but I am grateful for being so short LOL

      Delete
  5. I wear my Docs daily to work but if I'm going out I always wear a nice pair of heels. They just make me feel a little more dressed up and finish an outfit nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with your tips! I might also add tips "Do not walk with your knees bent. Walking on flat ground like an ape is not cool." and "if your walking is difficult (like a duck or an ape) then shorten your steps. One can not lope on high heels like with flat shoes!" :D I personally love high heels, for me an optimal heel is about 8 cm (3,15 inches) plus the sole must be at least one cm thick, so one does not feel every little grainy part of the street when walking. I am used to walk with shoes like that all day, though the heel can not be a stiletto, it must be a bit thicker and firmer. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yeah, that is excellent advice! I do agree, I can walk all day with a thick heel too!

      Delete
  7. I am short but alas I cannot walk in heels (DUCK TOED!!!). I've spent my life in flat DMs and my attempts to wear anything higher are quite laughable. I do have a pair of heeled DMs (Darcies, about 2.5inches, slight platform) that I love, and I do manage to walk reasonably well in them, but I definitely can't dance - taking my feet off the floor is beyond me.

    I also have a reasonably high pair of platform New Rocks - they are probably an exception as they are so comfortable I forget that I am four inches taller - first time I wore them my height perception was so off I fell off the toilet trying to sit down! I don't know how tall people manage!! However, they are not general daywear boots and each one weighs 4 pounds, so again, lifting my feet whilst dancing is problematic :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm jealous. I cannot walk in high heels. I can handle small heels but nothing more than an inch

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...