Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Skulls in the workplace

This Is Corp Goth's mid-month status report is about wearing skulls in the workplace. I was told I was not permitted to visibly wear skulls of any kind to work. Naturally, my rebellious side kicked in and I choose certain kinds of footwear to wear to work and my boss didn't notice. Or so I think! They are so minuscule, I doubt it makes a difference. Besides, clients don't see my feet when they walk in!  I posted these shoes and boots before but here they are again! I have worn them to work!
Source: Yahoo! images

Source: Sinistersoles.com




I think it is more of a skull print shirt or necklace that my boss finds offensive so I don't wear those. I think it is more of a personal preference she has.  I understand her point though, I am a receptionist and I am the first point of contact customers make when they walk in. I get it so I don't make TOO much of a fuss about it. Not everyone accepts skulls! On the other hand, my visible tattoos, piercings do not make a difference. I am also permitted to wear what I want, within reason. Obviously, I won't wear ripped up stockings or anything too extreme but I do get away with a little more than I would at any other job I worked at.  So I can't complain. Recently, I even got permission to have two colored streaks in my hair because I miss having funky hair! Pink or blue, I am still debating on the color. What do you think, Darklings?

On the other hand, bats (or what a very nice but naive older lady thought were butterflies) are perfectly acceptable. These are my favourites!


Say hello to Jack!

14 comments:

  1. I love the shoes! And my vote is for pink streaks in your hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe your boss notices but secretly likes them? I love all the cute little skully touches! It annoys me that they specifically banned skulls, but I guess some people see it as confronting.

    Every time I see a comment from you I get confused thinking you are Sylvie from the book Thorn Jack, who is also dark haired and a bit gothy. Thanks for making my world a little more unreal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just pretend I am Sylvie from your book LOL :) Sorry, don't mean to make your world unreal!

      Delete
  3. Ha ha I love bat-butterflies :D When I signed on to do the cemetery tours I had to sign off on not having *iridescent* hair colors which is fine since purple streaks in black hair that is really just grey and needs to be dyed often is a hassle AND no *Satanic* jewelry. I have no idea what that means but it makes me laugh since my direct supervisor is covered in Poe tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol "Satanic jewellery" Some of these rules are just plain silly but it takes all sorts of people to make a world, I guess!

      Delete
  4. No skulls, but bats, tattoos and piercings *are* acceptable? I've never heard of that before lol. It's weird because skulls were and are still prominent in the fashion scene, I thought by now they'd be accepted by most workplaces. I was always told not to dye my hair, but I did it anyways lol. After awhile my supervisors stopped caring, I guess they realized it didn't hurt anybody. I think with your complexion blue streaks would be nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, go figure. I still wear the shoes (granted not on a daily basis) and I too find the rule a little silly but meh, I follow it...to some degree LOL The worse part, other staff members have shirts with huge skulls on them. I guess it is because im receptionist. Oh well. I can wear it on the weekends. Its not the end of the world

      Delete
  5. I guess you're right and she meant skull print t - shirts, big pendants or anything, that's in the customers' face when they walk into the store and that's understandable. For some reason, people find skulls way more offensive than the rest of the Halloween imagery, perhaps because they're so closely associated with death...? Does that make sense? :/

    Anyway, your shoes are adorable and to me, the body of the bat pendant shapes a skull too...a vector stylized tribal skull, you know, but it might just be me, really...:)

    And as for the streaks in your hair; If you're allowed to have two, why don't you get a pink and a blue one? I think, the two colors match very well anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good suggestion about the hair and I think you're right about the skulls. It makes perfect sense to me!

      Delete
  6. Heh, nice way to sneak the skulls in, below the desk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to say that the only way to be able to wear what you want at work is to be self-employed, but you still have to think about what your clients might take offence to. Whilst most of my clients like having a Goth for their gardener I was once finished by a man just after I`d dyed my hair purple. The funny thing was he was not old, but I`d say in his 30s and drove a Ferrari sports car. But my oldest client loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amuses me how people take offense to such silly things like a hair color or a skull.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...