Friday, September 19, 2014

On raising spooky kids or the next (potential) generation of baby bats


I never fully realized the extent of influence I have over my son until recently so I thought I would post about the silly little things we do together that raises eyebrows amongst the more normal people. While I am aware that my opinion may be somewhat biased, I do hope this amuses you as much as it does with me!

We have a game we play where I tell him in French "Maman fait le vampire", which translates as "Mommy does the vampire". The game is quite simple: I kiss him all over his neck and arms because that is where I know it tickles him. This usually results in rough housing or a chase through the house.

He came home from daycare one day and told me he wasn't allowed to play that game at school. I asked him if he tried to "bite" another kid at school. He confirmed that he tried to play vampire and that the other kid got scared. He questioned why a vampire would be scary and why his mom likes scary things. At this age,I kept the answers simple: not everyone is afraid of scary things. Some people, like his parents, actually do like scary things. I asked how he felt about the matter and admitted that he still liked the game and likes scary things himself. I made sure he knew it was OK to not like the same things I like, that I would still love him and be proud of him regardless.

He learned a new song at daycare where the lyrics should sing "fly like a bird" and he would flap his arms like wings. He changed the lyrics to "fly like a bat"
He sees so many skulls in our house he thought we were actually pirates at one point! Arrrrr! He still calls skulls "pirates" and we just go along with it!

I have these rubber bats that are held on our hall mirror with suction cups. There are two of them. One of them is "mommy bat" and the other one is "Philip bat"

He had an imaginary friend at one point which he called the scary ghost. For the record, my apartment isn't haunted! I think he was referring to Casper the Friendly ghost, by the way.

He loves Halloween themed episodes on TV. You don't know how many times I had to put the Halloween episode of Yo Gabba on for him when watching Netflix

He really likes Joy Division, Voltaire's "Oh My Goth" (he calls it the scary song) and Blutengel. He likes a lot of 80's music as well. For a while, I would play Siouxsie's song "passenger" in the car because we would sing a long together.

Yesterday, his pre-school teacher reminded me that today is International Peace Day and he needs a white shirt to commemorate the event. It could have a design on it, as long as it was white. She asked if we had one and didn't seem surprised at all when I said that he didn't. I laughed and told her that we would go get one at the store. My kid now has one lonely white shirt amongst the darks and colors! Note to self: do NOT wash with the colors, especially red!

He also likes "normal" things most boys his age likes such as Spider Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (so cool) and Legos

While I generally try to encourage him to be his own person and don't expect him to be an extension of myself, I am quite proud of him and his eccentricities!


14 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post!! How cute he sounds, and what fun that he is (at least for now) a little gothling. :-) My son is 24 now, and one thing I really miss is our playing together and having fun games just between us. You sound like a GREAT mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! It's nice that he likes what you like whilst knowing he can have his own opinions still. I remember when my little sister asked me about the skull on my necklace, and pirates was the best way to describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seems very proud of him like any mom would be. My eldest had a very morbid fantasy figure he would tell fun stories about. It was a clown called Pucko (fairly translated to Stupid) that was long white and skinny and when he used the chainsaw or an axe he chopped of his arms instead of the tree etc. Now he's a teenager and is busy doing his revolution by dressing preppy like his grandpa. Oh, my, he bought a shawl collar double buttoned cardigan today with leather patches on the elbows. sigh, How ungothic can it be??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! I think that is funny that he is rebelling that way. I have some friends and family members who are betting my son will do the same thing when he is old enough!

      Delete
  4. Love it! I think it's perfectly fine for him to like what his folks like. My dad was a Science Fiction lovin', horror movie watchin' kind of guy. Some of my favorite childhood memories involve making Halloween props for my parents' parties (that I was never allowed to attend because it was adults only! And then when I got old enough they stopped hosting them hmph).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! You are definitely a cool mom! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, as I'm not a parent myself, my opinion is pretty irrelevant, but...I have to confess, that I have reservations about goth moms, but only those, who dress their kids like their mini selves, mini goths, dye their hair, put make up on them...I simply don't think, that's healthy. But on the other hand, I think, kids can only benefit from having open - minded underground parents, because they learn, that 'different' does not equal 'bad'. So in other words, I think the way you're raising your son is pretty awesome and this post is adorable. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree with you 100%. My kid picks his own clothes. It is very rare that I buy him clothes without him present and when I do, I know he is going to like it. I don't believe kids should be an extention of their parents, they should be encouraged to be their own person. While I may not like his style or rebellion (he would probably go preppy as form of rebellion LOL) I would always be his #1 fan. I just don't think it is right.

      Delete
  7. I really love how you aren't pushing the subculture unto him. I am that way (okay, okay. The baby was dressed in skeleton jammies today but his name is Jack. How could we not?). I have 4 boys and a stepdaughter. They all have their own style and they all know I love them for who they are, not what they look like. That is the most important thing for any kid, goth parents or not. You are doing an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you and imo skellington jammies are perfectly acceptable and Jack is a cool name! My son has a Soupuss monster shirt. A little pieces here and there are ok and as much as I would love to dress him as Gomez Addams, he is his own person. I think you are doing an excellent job too. Wow 5 kids, I bet it gets pretty crazy in yoour house LOL

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...