Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My secret!

Hello there Darklings,

Today, I am going to share a secret with you. Shhh! Don't tell anyone! The other day, the lovely Lynoire over at Space Unicorn posted her last minute outfit on her blog. You should check her out here, she is just adorable!

I got inspired because she wrote: "It was one of those days when you have an entire outfit planned in your head, so you set your alarm 15 minutes later. But when you get out of bed, starting to dress up, you realize, that one of the key ingredients of your rocking ensemble is missing...So you start looking for it, you turn your entire apartment over and you still cannot find it, but when you finally realize how much time you've spent on searching, you're already late, so you desperately grab the first clothes you see"

You have no idea on what level I relate to this. Not only can I not find that key ingredient but the outfit I envisioned does not turn out so well. In fact, it can be disastrous.

I am not a morning person. If I had my way and could sleep during the day and be awake all night, I would do it but I can't! I know it sounds cliched and all but that is how I roll! I am nocturnal. I hate the mornings. It is worse now that I am a parent because my son is a morning person and he drives me up the wall. I am so grateful to have a patient, loving, understanding, caring husband who takes care of my son while I take forever to get out of bed and ready! He even brings me coffee in bed in the morning because I need that jolt of caffeine to get going.

That being said, between the interruptions from the kid (despite the fact my husband is there to handle it, he still comes to me for stuff) and trying to pry my sorry butt out of bed, it doesn't leave me with much time to get ready.

My secret is this: people think I look so well put together and wonder how I can pull it off everyday. In fact, my coworker told me recently "you always look so well put together. You have such great outfits. Here I am in jeans and a sweater and I look like a bum!" I smiled and thanked her for the compliment. If only she knew!

So dear readers, my secret is this and it is simple: when I buy clothes, I make sure I buy items that can easily be mix-matched with something else. I see a skirt I want, I picture it with shirts I already own. Depending on the item and how much I want it, I would buy other key pieces to go with it. I look for versatility. Granted, I don't wear corsets to work and I do have a "going out wardrobe" it is nice that I have my easy match go-to everyday clothing that goes with my personal style!

While people think I look great and well put together, my biggest secret is out: I really don't have my shit together, at all!


The ensemble
the stockings!
simple makeup. Takes 5 minutes!


16 comments:

  1. mixing and matching is easy when everything you own is black! lol but I put together my outfits when I put away my clean laundry. Instead of folding it I make sets for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I could only imagine matching colors LOL. I do have a few tops that dont look good with certain skirts though so I do have to remember that when rushing out the door in the morning. I like the idea of making sets for the week.

      Delete
    2. Making sets is such a great idea. I'm afraid the way I 'match' in the morning is by wearing dresses. A blazer can go over most all of my dresses.

      Delete
    3. Thats true too! I have lots of dresses.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, easily mixable separates are awesome. But my secret weapon is dresses! One step in the morning :) I have a blog post about this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to buy more dresses... This got me thinking that I don't have any dresses, really. That must change!
    I love the look. It looks very well put together. Where do you shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes shop at goodgoth.com but I do get my clothing for different stores. It all depends. I should remember these things but unfortunately, I don't. Next time I get something new, I will definately post where I got it from :) Sometimes you can 'goth up" a simple blouse or skirt by adding accessories. Both Trystan and Miss Kitty (This is Corp Goth and Sophitique Noir) have it mastered!

      Delete
  4. I guess that we look well put together because we often refuse to wear jeans. A skirt and a top looks always more dressed up. I also have come to the conclusion to buy clothes in a special colourscheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, my special color scheme is black. i do have some darker shades in the mix, which I should probably get more of! It is so easy when I laundry LOL

      Delete
  5. When I was working I always wore dresses - all of which had to go with black opaque tights and either flat black ballerina pumps or knee high boots. I also have 2 particular go to dresses that are great for the days when you feel uncomfortable with yourself (lady bloating in particular), both black, soft cotton jersey and both look great with knee high leather boots. I hated having to think about what to wear when leaving the house, as I prefer that time to be spent constructively drinking coffee and fluffing the dog's ears!

    I'm actually finding it more difficult to dress now I work from home. It's too easy to sprawl about all day in my pjs, so yesterday I made an effort & put on a gorgeous cream steampunk printed dress - and then realised I didn't know what to wear it with! Cue petrochemical blue tights and cardy (the dress's accents are dark blue) - it looked good once I'd worked through the options, but boy did it take time! And then looked a bit too pretty for just sitting writing (and filling fountain pens with black ink suddenly became waaay more perilous!). Back to jeans today...

    Love the outfit you are wearing in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I remember going through that PJ phase when I was unemployed and/or on Maternity leave with my son. Glad that you found time to dress up a little. I wish I could work for home from time to time. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm having a similar issue while on sabbatical. Yesterday I'm pretty sure I overdressed to drop off items at a charity and take out recycling. It felt good though. I always feel better when I have on makeup. That helps me.

      Delete
    3. I always feel better if I take time with my hair and dry it properly so I can wear it loose, rather than fall asleep on it whilst it's damp so it sticks out at crazy angles (the norm!). It is nice to feel 'dressed up' now and again, even if it is just for recycling :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, thank you so much for quoting me, I'm glad, that my post inspired you! ^^
    It's a pretty good idea to only buy clothes, that can easily b matched to things you already own. I'm trying to do the same: When I buy something, I try to think of at least three different pieces I can wear it with and at least three outfits I could put together using it, but still, as I'm also a night owl, plus I experiment so much with colors and shapes lately, sometimes I'm having trouble dressing up in the morning...:/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! You made me think back to those days before I had a kid and things got REALLY hectic in the morning and I got inspired.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...