Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A silly random thought of the day

I was just thinking about how writing has always been a passion of mine. In high school, I wrote poetry. I remember one of my English teachers being impressed with one of my Halloween themed poems. He even made me go to the IT lab to type it out.  My teacher actually kept that poem because he said "if you were ever to become a famous writer, I want proof that I taught you English"!
That was very flattering for me because prior to that assignment, I never bothered with poetry and it really encouraged me to write more! I can still recall those angst-filled hours that I would spend locked in my room writing about all the injustices in the world!
Source: Beetlejuice
Despite the good poem, I also wrote my share of REALLY bad, HORRIBLE poetry as a teenager. You know, like the world is a big dark place, woe is me, and no one will ever understand me because I am so unique type crap?  I am pretty sure most of us could relate to that!

Source:Beetlejuice
As for the title of this post, my silly random thought of the day is:  How I am quite thankful that in my generation, as a teenager, we didn't have the Internet during those years because I can only imagine my embarrassment today if I did publish some of those poems online!

16 comments:

  1. Bahh, don't be crazy! You'd be like LOOK HOW COOL I WAS EVEN THEN! :D ... cause you were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks! I hope so but I remember some of the stuff I wrote. Lots of it was good but lots of it makes me want to facepalm

      Delete
  2. I think MANY of us were fortunate that the Internet did not exist back when we were teens or even early 20-somethings, for just that reason... I know I am VERY grateful certain pictures, poems and stories I created were never allowed to live for eternity on the Web!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this makes me want to dig up my bad high school poetry and post it online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm sure I could find some ridiculous things I have written.

      Delete
  4. Once again I read your blog in the morning and it makes me smile, laugh a bit and over all one gets a really good and positive vibe of your text. :) You're awesome and that internet thing is so true! People today do not always realize how embarrassing or private some of the stuff they post might be in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad I made you chuckle, I sure did when I had that epiphany!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad we didn't have the internet or email even because I would have missed out on those handwritten letters from friends and boyfriends during the age where we actually spent a zillion hours to write in a weird gothy- calligraphy style... Or at least my friends did.

    I seriously think you should do a challenge post to encourage everyone to post a ridiculous old poem. I'm going to dig through my journals :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I miss those handwritten letters! I dare you to do dig through your journals. Sadly, I burned all my old poetry from Highschool LOL

      Delete
  6. Ha ha. I can relate my teen-self to Lydia a lot. I also wrote depressed poems. I envy todays teens sometimes for having internet and the ability to meet alikes but the web is also a cruel place. I beleive though that it would have been better for me with internet in my teens because I would have stayed at home more and maybe found better friends instead of running away and get drunk with people too old for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never looked at it that way. I think for me, internet or no internet, i wasn't the happiest at home so i would of still went out, hung out with people older than me and made all those mistakes! In a lot of ways, I don't regret those bad choices, I had a lot of fun making them and it helped shape who i am today.

      Delete
  7. Just the other day I was thinking of my old diaries and note books with poems that are hidden away at the back of the bottom drawer. I was wondering if I should throw them away before somebody finds them, but despite how utterly embarrassing they are, they are also an important part of who I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't throw them away if I were you. Unfortunately for me, in a state of depression, I burned my old poems. I didn't like who i became as a teenager. I made some wrong choices and wanted to break free so it was a postive cleansing ritual for me.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I'll hold on to them a bit longer, and hope my children don't find them.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...