Monday, September 8, 2014

30 cool things


Trystan over at This Is Corp Goth posted a 30 cool things meme on her blog. As she said:" We can spend so much time getting down on ourselves or reflecting on things that aren't going well, or might not go well. Why not take a moment to chronicle some of the cool things you've done or experienced in your life? Don't add any disclaimers, like, "Well, this was actually dorky" or "This didn't last very long" or,"That ended badly." Just list cool stuff, and only in cool terms. Because it's good to do that sometimes. So there."

I wholeheartedly agree with her sentiment and I decided to be a copy cat and list my 30 cool things:

1) I can speak and write in two languages fluently (English and French)

2) I dyed my hair many different colors in my teens. At one point I had pink hair, blue hair, red, blonde, black etc.

3) I married my best friend

4) I have a gorgeous, happy and healthy 3 year old (very soon to be 4 year old!)



5) My son and I both could of died during child birth but we obviously survived!

6) I am not afraid to speak my mind

7) Played bass guitar

8) Played piano

9) Grew my hair really long and cut it really short so I can donate it to locks of love

10) I am very involved in sustainability and protecting mother earth, which leads to...

11) I planted a tree when I was in Elementary school and the tree is still there! I even made it in the local newspaper!

12)My picture was also in the newspaper a second time when they opened a park up at my old elementary school

13) I was in the newspaper a third time in high school. This time, I made front page! I was chosen to paint abstract objects with a local artist. My artwork was then used to decorate the school cafeteria. How cool was that?

14) My poetry got published in a teen journal and book at the age of 16

15)  I spoke out against bullying and harassment by joining a youth group who helped me spread awareness on the subject

16) I spoke publicly to my entire high school class graduating year. I was nominated valedictorian and I turned it down because I was bullied. I told everyone during a public assembly at school (we were being voted on our speeches, no less) that I had nothing positive to say about classmates and while I was honored to be nominated by my teachers, this was something I did not want to do. I pretty much told the entire graduating class to eff off and in the end, a lot of people apologized to me. 

17) I was diagnosed with depression at 16. Despite the hurdles, I can maintain a happy healthy life, without meds and have been doing so for a little over 16 years now!

18) I talked someone out of suicide

19) I attended a political rally

20) Gave money to friends in need

21) Cooked a delicious Christmas supper (turkey and all the trimmings) for my husband and son

22)  I can remain calm and collected when faced with a state of emergency

23)Been to England

25) Been to New York City

26) Pierced my own nose and ears as a teenager (not recommended)

27) Cried over fictional characters

28) Used to take ballet lessons

29) Never got a speeding ticket

30) I head bang to Bohemian Rhapsody in the car just like in Wayne's World!





14 comments:

  1. All 30 are very cool accomplishments you should be proud of, especially #30 which I just headbanged to the other day while varnishing! Apparently, no matter how old you get, that will always be cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you. I never headbanged while varnishing though but I am going to give it a try LOL :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so amazing! I'm personally grateful for #18 having lost one of my best friends to suicide when I was only 16. We had been friends since before pre-school and I loved him fiercely. Thank you for being awesome and sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha!! I think everyone headbangs like Wayne and the gang to that song. I like reading stuff like this. Getting to know bloggers is pretty awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I am glad you enjoyed reading, you should participate too

      Delete
  5. Aaaw, awesome idea and a great list, of course! ^^ I think, I will try to do this too, just to lift my spirits a little...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, I challenge you. I personally, focus way too much on the negative and this was a very positive thing to do! I am curious to read yours!

      Delete
  6. This was so wonderful a list! You are an extremely cool person. :D I actually just yesterday was a bit annoyed how sometimes bloggers and vloggers understate themselves, for example that the say they "look horrible" on a make up tutorial video even though they are perfectly pretty. I guess it is just nervousness. >_> So cool if more people are going to make this meme and concentrate on their cool actions and publicly show how they are constructing or they already have a healthy self-esteem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't always see myself as a cool person as I can be a pretty hard on myself too.I think a lot of this stems from the fact that I was brought up to not publicly mention my achievements. I guess I didnt want to come across as shallow and was considered a good form of etiquette. While I am all for good manners, I think that notion is kind of silly and dated. I think it is healthy, within reason, to acknowledge our accomplishments and to support others for theirs as well. I did this post to encourage others to do the same because just like you said, I heard some self-hate from fellow bloggers/vloggers as well and I never thought for one second that they were right.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...