Thursday, August 28, 2014

More homework!


The lovely Curious Professor described the following on her blog: "For August's Homework Assignment, you are tasked to show us how songs or music inspire your dress, mood, art, writing, etc. Make that correlation between the song and the product of your inspiration; or, tell us what kind of music you listen to before you go out for the evening, or before work or school, or while you are relaxing at home. Remember, your post doesn't need to be fashion related. Get inspired! Think outside the box! HAVE FUN!!!"

I have a pretty schizophrenic taste in music. I listen to anything between EBM/darkwave (yes, I like  oontz oontz music!) early 80s goth, industrial, classical and musicals. I also throw a lot of classic rock in the mix as well. If I want soothing music, the likes of Nox Arcana, The Cure, Loreena Mckennitt and Delirium are usually my go-to list!

At work, I keep things pretty tame as described in this post here.

When my son was very little, Loreena Mckennitt used to put him to sleep. He had colic and her voice would be soothing to him and he would fall asleep much easier. In fact, I got him sleeping the night by the time he was three months old thanks to this woman. I used to tell him that I was going to play "the nice lady" for him and would rock him to sleep. I would keep the music on until the songs ran out on the playlist. I accidentally uploaded the track "Bonny Podmore" twice on that playlist and usually by the second rendition, he would be sound asleep! Today,  I often listen to her music while I am baking or cooking. It makes my food taste better!

Usually, I listen to anything that comes up on my playlist but lately, we seem to have started a new tradition. Whenever I would drive my son to or from daycare, we would listen to "the scary song". 

He really means the second track "Oh My Goth" from Voltaire's new Album "Raised By Bats". I think he calls it the scary song because of the theramin in the background.



After a particularly bad day at work, I would listen to Voltaire's Bitrektual album. It helps get out my inner geek and some of the tracks are really frigging funny. It puts me in a better mood to come home to my second job (cooking, cleaning, taking care of a 3 year old who missed me all day).

Because I am a Whovian!
 
When my son was VERY little and used to go in the jolly jumper, he was very fond of EBM/Electro style music, specifically this song.  I would play it just to watch him go nuts in the jumper. I would then turn around and find him fast asleep. Thank you Eisenfunk!





Time does fly. Look at those chunky legs!
For the few times I actually go out, usually good ole Siouxsie does it for me. Sometimes for the hell of it, we play the Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack and we sing along. If I have trouble finding an outfit and what really puts me in the mood for going out is "Lucretia My Reflection" I love all sorts of music and just really let my playlist play whatever comes on. 



The only time I am really picky and need to have a playlist is when I am working out at the gym and even at that,  Rammstein does it for me!Doesn't need to be a specific song or an album.



 

21 comments:

  1. Such a cute cute post! ^^ And oh, my, I've forgotten how much I love Voltaire. ^^ I hardly listen to music nowadays, so I'm looking forward to see all the homework posts for some inspiration or reminder...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am looking forward to seeing all the homework posts too. I can use some inspiration and reminders too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the lovely Voltaire - I will be seeing him again in Nov at Whitby, squee! He's a lovely man, takes loads of time out to talk to people and take part in events.

    And the RHS! I rarely play the soundtrack these days, but it does bring back some happy memories. And some scary train journeys when in full garb.

    I never really think about relaxation (or bedtime music), but I have a tendency to listen to Clannad, Pink Floyd or Lana Del Ray's first album (which is gorgeously sad, don't care if admitting that looses me goth points!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful, the goth cabal is going to get you! LOL I have not listened to Pink Floyd in a while! I don't remember the name of the track but the song where all the clocks go off in the beginning, I remember falling asleep and that very track came on! I may just check out Clannad. Thanks for mentionning it :)

      Delete
    2. I love Lana Del Rey's Summertime Sadness and I sing Young And Beautiful to my fella who just shakes his head (partly because I'm overly dramatic when I do it and, well, I can't sign).

      Delete
    3. You mentioned Pink Floyd which reminded me of my fella's music and I will admit that I love going to see RUSH shows! There is NEVER a line for the lady's room :D Men stand in line for days but not us ladies lol we walk right in.

      Delete
    4. You are thinking of Time from Dark Side of the Moon. 'You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking'.

      Clannad are so 1980s Irish ethereal folk. A lot of their stuff is in Gaelic (as isCapercaillie) but it it is so peaceful. I loved the TV show Robin of Sherwood which they provided the soundtrack for.

      Delete
  4. PS, So jealous you are going to Whitby AND seeing the sexy Voltaire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be fun to see what music your son grows up to love :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know eh! I was pretty proud of him this morning. He asked for Joy Division in the car.

      Delete
  6. I love how we share our musical tastes with our little ones, it's something really special. When I was pregnant I listened to alot of metal /hard rock and bass heavy aggressive music, and now all I have to do is crank up a bit of Five Finger Death Punch and my daughter is instantly quieted :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't beleive I've missed that album from Voltaire. I just tried to listen to it at work, but laughed so much I was disturbing my collegues. I was looking forward to seeing him live in Whitby, but unfortunatly had to cancel the trip :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that sucks you had to cancel the trip :( Im glad it made you laugh

      Delete
  8. I love Loreena McKennit! Siouxsie is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :D YES! Go momma! Loreena Mckennitt is definitely someone I listen to all the time; but, for me, it's because I associate her music with ritual and creativity.

    I truly love that you are playing your music for your kidlet! :D A goth in diapers!!! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually associate her music with the same thing too but that sort of shifted after I had my son and she became "the nice lady" lol.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...