Saturday, July 5, 2014

Advice I wish I received when I was a Baby Bat

The inspiration for this post is what kind of advice I would give to my baby bat self.  What would future Sylvie tell little baby bat Sylvie? First and foremost, do not and I repeat, do not use Halloween makeup. It is cheap, it clogs pores and I ended up looking like a mime.

It is fine to experiment with makeup but do so in the privacy of your own home. There were many times it looked like I fell into a makeup box and I went out in public

Woolen capes can look nice but do not over do it. Also, they should be worn in the winter, not in the middle of a heatwave!

DO NOT SHAVE YOUR EYEBROWS! - I thought it looked cool except the shaved brow and re-penciled look never looked right on me. I tried penciling them in many different ways. I had more experienced friends (both goth and non) to help me and I just ended up looking ridiculous. This is for me, really. If you want to do it, go right ahead but I do advise to partially shave them off and then pencil them in. This way. if you don't like the look, you won't have to wait for them to grow back. Perhaps my makeup skills at that time needed some tuning but I have never attempted this move again. I never will.

Thrift stores were and still are my best friend. Learn to sew better because many times a lace trim I added easily came undone.

Crow makeup, unless you plan on dressing like Eric Draven for Halloween, it has been overdone. Do not go out in public. To anyone else, if this makes you happy, then by all means do so but please note, there many within the subculture that kinda frown upon that. Don't get me wrong, I love the Crow. I read the comics and own all the movies and seen them many, many times. In fact, the Crow was one of the first links I had towards the goth subculture. It holds a special place in my heart and maybe this is why it is so overdone?

Swirly eyeliner is cute but do it properly. Sometimes less is more.

Do not attempt to bleach black out of your hair the night before an important event. Make sure you have ample time to run to the store to buy more bleach or a hairdresser to fix it. Trust me.I did not do it properly either.My roots went white, the rest went yellow, the ends went a bright red that darkened to black. It looked like a science experiment gone wrong. My godfather wanted me to go blonde for the photo session that was scheduled for the next day and offered to pay me a generous amount of money to do it. Being a teenager, I thought about all the CDs/tapes and clothing that I could buy from the local gothic store. I did not even consider that this could go wrong. Being the stereotypical night owl, I did this at 10:00pm on a weeknight when all the stores were closed. We do not have a 24 hour Walmart here like they do in some places in the US. I was up the creek without a paddle because the next day was picture day at school. It gets better. I was graduating high school and my grad photos were taken. They did not offer retakes. Funny, my parent bought the photos of me wearing the graduation cap but my dad having a sense of humour, bought a couple, including a huge photo (11x17) without the cap as a reminder to never, ever attempt a stunt like that again.

If I wear a lock around my neck à la Sid Vicious style, DO NOT lose the key. My father was not too impressed when he had to get tools from his workshop in the basement to remove it, We were late for the funeral. I could of changed but he was afraid of it showing,

Don't worry, the baby bat phase will end. Perhaps you will "grow out of it" as some of our folks think or you may not. You could be like me and dropped the clothing for a while and came back. Either way, with time and practice, you will have a more sophisticated look and hopefully look back at your younger years with a smile. To this day, I still thank those older gothy people that took me under the bat wings and steered me in the right direction. It doesn't mean you should take everything any elder goths say to you to heart, whether it is mean or not, it is sometimes helpful to take criticism as positive criticism. 

 I hope this post made you laugh. I sure had fun writing it!

Sadly, I do not have any photos but I do have a cute photo of my new corset I got, which I am more than happy to put up as compensation, oh well, we don't always get what we want dear readers!



8 comments:

  1. Okay, I am laughing!... laughing WITH you and not at you because much of this could have been advice to my own baby bat self, little goth girl Sharon!

    I have very few pictures of my younger years because I was dating an uber goth who would tell me that pictures would steal my soul. I don't think I really believed this but it was the 80's so taking pictures were a bit of a hassle when you had to develop the film (which I used to send away to develop since I lived in rural Virginia and it was cheaper). The bleaching one's hair paragraph.... sigh. I did that while I was an adult (and school teacher!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am glad it made you laugh, I was laughing while I was writing it! I remember having to get film developed too.

      Delete
  2. Do you remember those disc cameras? I still have some disc film that I never had developed. I have no idea why I keep it but I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember those! LOL You should get it developed, who knows the mysteries that await inside!

      Delete
  3. Lovely eyebrow and lock stories :D. I had a dogs choke leash around the neck wich is absolutely not recommendable, it also gave me allergy for nickel. My advise for my younger baby bat years would have been, be happy, embrace your child (gosh I was only 13-14) and stay sober for goths sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know same here!. I did a lot of things I really shouldn't. I also used a Dog collar but it was leather LOL I forgot about that one! Ha!Ha!

      Delete
  4. lol too funny. I wish I had some pointers when I was a baby bat. Especially haircare! Sheesh... I still have hair issues but I know now to have a back up plan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Backup plans are essential and I think this is a lesson, sadly, most of us learned the hard way. Glad to make you laugh though

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...