Monday, June 9, 2014

Office survival 101: Music

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
Hans Christian Andersen


I work as a receptionist but I am lucky, I am allowed to listen to music at my desk because my employer is awesome! There are some bands, I would not play at my work, especially at the reception area but there are a few that I find is acceptable for work.

What I listen to:

The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Sisters of Mercy, Abandoned Toys (calming, perfect for when clients are around), classical music (usually play when I am pissed off about something), Sopor Aeternus and the Ensemble of Shadows, The Ramones (I know it isn't goth or anything but they kick ass!) Emily Autumn, Voltaire (certain songs I don't play - you know which ones) London After Midnight, The Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack (come on! You all know you listen to it!), David Bowie, Delirium, Loreena Mckennitt, Clan of Xymox

If it is at the end of the day or REALLY quiet and all the clients are gone home: Rammstein because it gives me a great boost, Blutengel (yes I like some EBM and it gives me energy), Voltaire's Bitrektual album because I am geeky and the songs crack me up. I also listen to the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack  with certain songs taken out, again, you know which ones!

What do you guys listen to at the office?

12 comments:

  1. your post made me remember how much I love loreena mckennet. but I don't really listen to music at work because I have a hard time focusing as-is. when I'm updating spreadsheets or doing boring housekeeping I usually listen to metal. Lately it's been the whole Sepultura/Soulfly catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work 3rd shift and have the whole office to myself. I usually catch up on TV shows with my Xfinity app but there are times when I do rock out. Lately it's been a lot of Psyclon Nine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good music listed here :). Im not listen to music at the office that much, unless I have something boring routine work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks. I have a lot of data entry so music helps keep me sane!

      Delete
  4. Your boss sounds really great when letting you listen to bands you prefer. :D I did not know all this bands you mentioned, so I am eager to find out if I shall like them too. ^^ I myself don't work at an office but when I am doing research for my master's thesis or other essay or something I've noticed I get distracted if there are good and/or complex lyrics in the song I listen at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am very lucky. I hope I can get you into some new bands! What are you studying?

      Delete
    2. I study comparative literature, so I really have to concentrate to the words I am supposed to read instead of the ones I hear. ^^

      Delete
  5. Great tunes. I wasn't really able to listen to music at work before my sabbatical, now I can listen to whatever I want - I found myself doing the housework to Bad Pollyanna, Ayria and VNV Nation the other date, needing something that gets me dancing!

    Though when I am home working I tend to listen to podcasts. I like this guy's radio shows and have them play in the background when I write, though I warn you he is native to my region and has a strong geordie dialect! http://www.mixcloud.com/kev36663/

    I'm also finishing 2 novels, and I've created playlists that are relevant to each novel. Much Depeche Mode features!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh nice! I am also writting a novel. Not getting too far with it at the moment. I never heard for those bands you mentionned except for VNV Nation so thanks, I am going to look them up! I love Depeche Mode too. I am going to definately listen to that podcast later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bad Pollyanna, but not so sure about Ayria TBH - the two are playing a gig near me on Friday which I'm going to, so perhaps she'll convert me!

      And best of luck with the novel writing, persevere (and I highly recommend Stephen King's On Writing as a swift kick up the pants for motivation, as well as a surprisingly funny book / biog / writing guide)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...