Sunday, June 1, 2014

Maleficient - movie review

Cast: Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning, Sharlto Copley, Leslie Manville, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple

Director: Robert Stromberg

Synopsis: This is a story based off of the Disney animated movie Sleeping Beauty except that it is from the villain's perspective. Maleficient was a faerie woman who was protector of the forest and had her wings stolen from her. The story centers around her, the king Stephan, and Princess Aurora. The main plot is centered around betrayal and revenge and how Aurora holds the possibility of uniting the faerie and human kingdoms together.


Not wanting to give a way too much of the story, this film was more than what I expected. The narrative was a little dull and obvious yet I think it was more directed to inform the younger audience of the plot. The cinematography was beautiful and despite what other reviewers had to say, I was enchanted by it. Angelina Jolie was perfect for this role and really made the character her own.

The scene that really captivated me was when Maleficient had her wings stripped away from her,  where she wakes up on that hilltop with huge scars on her back and realizes what was done to her, how she weeped in rage resonated through out the film. The expression of sadness on Jolie's face when she mentioned how her wings were stolen from her truly showed mourning. It was the biggest betrayal imaginable.

It strikes so deep, and its impact resonates for so long after, that it  transforms Maleficent from a heroine into a villain. Maleficient's curse on Stefan's daughter Aurora that will send her into a coma at age 16 after a finger-prick by a spinning wheel needle is driven by the trauma of that betrayal.

I was especially pleased with the ending and this movie exceeded my expectations. If you like dark faerie tales, this is the movie to see!


4 comments:

  1. Oh I will see it on wednesday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun at the movies. i hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I might reconsider watching it in the cinema; The plot doesn't seem all that intresting and I wasn't particularly impressed by the trailers either...dunno why, I love Angelina Jolie and she sure is perfect for the role. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the movie but I got hyped up when I saw the trailers LOL, I dont know about your area but going to the cinema here is expensive, except on Tuesday nights where the tickets are at a discounted price, if you are unsure maybe you can go on cheapie night? I sometimes do that when I am not sure whether or not I am going to like a particular film. I feel like my money isn't wasted that way.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...